Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Verses

Sorry.  That last post was crazy.  I didn't mean for it to be terrible and nonsensical.  But I never mean to be either of those things.  I promise.

Today was a good day.  I've been writing a lot.  Less fiction than I'd like but enough lyrics and music to make up for it.  This music is...different.  I haven't decided yet if it's 'yeah...' different or 'oh...' different or 'hm...' different; I'll finish the songs soon and find out.

It takes me into a certain space though.  The process.  Embalming ideas in ink.  Being ready to recapture those ideas when they reanimate off the page.  Eventually they evolve, grow wings (or some other fancy metaphor for metamorphosis).  And hopefully those winged ideas migrate to their respective chord progressions in a timely manner.

I don't rush songs.  I also don't wait for 'inspiration.'  Sometimes I want to.  Sometimes, even when I love an idea so completely, I get bored with it if it doesn't do anything or go anywhere for a few months.  I stop playing it and reteach it to myself a couple seasons later.  It's not the most time effective method for songwriting but, I think, it keeps me from writing crap.

I'd like to think I'll have three or four songs done in the next week -- I may be performing at an open mic on July 7th.  I'd like to think that they'll be good songs.  I'd like to think that they'll work for Momentary Prophets even if we're dormant as a band.  I'd like to think I won't be terrified to perform alone.  Really, I just don't know any of that.  

I do know, however, that I feel a lot closer to a lot of everything when I'm right in the middle of a song.  The strings vibrating, the wood humming, my pulse syncopating against the chucking and strumming.  What a marvel that music is ours.     


1 comment:

SB said...

I remember one time we had a conversation about reiki and the energy exchange between performers and the audience.

Even if the process is a solitary thing, and the words you're putting to music come from a place of you alone; once you share it, your creation becomes a thing of -us- together. You have a lot of supporters, and when you create something you feel like sharing with those people, there's a sincere desire from those people to help you share it. Thing is, you've also got exchange with Ted and Logan, and replacing that with something lesser will be hard for a while.

Still, don't be scurred. We want to listen to you, and be a place you can lean, energetically, while you play. Like proper supports.

Hrm, maybe I'm not expressing well enough my anxiousness to hear your new songs, lol. I'm excited!

And to speak of dormancy...ouch. :/ But I know we'll wait, too. Music geologists watching for the top to pop off the sleeping giant again. :)