Monday, June 6, 2011

I don't know if I can make this place my home

Lyrics are strange.  Other people's words and feelings and thoughts, sometimes thorny, other times fulfilling and deeply moving.  I used to have this strange conviction -- in a former life -- that music was all that matters.  Just notes.  Immaterial tones strung together, bong-rips for the imagination.  Lyrics got in the way.

That was before.  Before a lot of things.  I write those strange things now, I purposely put them in the way of the music.  As best I can, I give it an exact meaning and hope it guides people to the images I've been personally transformed by.

Lyrics are fickle.  Like most arts and crafts, one day it's perfect in it's unpolished simplicity, the next day it's corny, obtuse, cliché.  There is too much at play cognitively to really dive into all of it now because I had a point.  Have a point.

Sometimes (and this is the strangest things about lyrics) we extract the lyrics and they mature into mantras, ideas that transcend melody, rhythm, and timbre.

I love this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzBM34cEyUU



No comments: