Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Running into people

I was asked by a friend earlier:

"If you had a chance to get one message across to the whole world, what would it be?"

Oh my god.  What kind of question is that?  A great one.

I guess I'm still thinking about it.  I was thinking about it when I left the house to go write and I was thinking about when I ran into a friend from CNU (and fellow musician) Joe Hamm.  We really don't talk much at all but we share the trajectory of being independent musicians.

He asked what I was doing and I rattled off the list of things: composing music for a play, scoring for an independent film, studying chinese, working on silly fiction stories.  He responded:

"Wow, you're really in the creative zone."  If you've heard Joe speak then you understand the enthusiasm and amazement that accompanies most of the things he says.  I was glad he said that because it gave me a distraction from the excellent and intimidating question that loomed over me.  He was right, is right.  I am in a great creative zone.  I am lucky.  How is it that I can spend so much time poring over emotional and imaginational work?

I don't start my next 'real' job until after this weekend.
Ahhhhhhhhh.
It's ok
It really is.
I will enjoy this week of unhindered jake-divides-his-day-exactly-how-he-wants time.

Maybe if I work hard enough for the next few days I can shrug off the responsibility of answering my friend's question.  Because then -- by dodging even a slight thread of responsibility -- I'll really be an artist!

8 comments:

SB said...

Steady income is nice, but only if it also allows you to do all the things that truly make you happy. Finding the balance is the hard part.

That is a pretty heavy question to carry around, though, dang.

Does it have to be the kind of show-stopping message of such heart-searing profundity that everyone can't help but listen to? Or can it be something everyone hears and some say, "Yeah I know that." Like, "Eat your vegetables." or "Love your mom."?

If you're going for the pinnacle, the one message to top all other messages ever sent out to the world in any medium, ever...you may be working on that one a while, and it probably deserves a lot of thinking.

Then again, your answer may fall into your lap in a sudden epiphany, and you'll be the next Buddha.

Jake Hull said...

I don't really know what kind of message it should be. I hadn't really thought about it in those terms. Eat your vegetables is pretty damn good though.

I don't think I'm working towards the pinnacle, just like I'm not trying to write the best songs ever -- Klaatu already mapped out the territory of greatest songs ever (Ask Ted.) More what I feel is hard to narrow down/distill is the thing that is the jakest thing to say.

Make sure you poop at least twice a day?
Don't trust strangers (unless they offer you candy)?
Be yourself?
Don't listen to anything I have to say?

What do you have to say?

IdioticIdealist said...

...ahem....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CdjZbWu98A&feature=related

Jake Hull said...

hahahah. thank you ted for sonic support

SB said...

I'm gonna have to think about this and get back to you. :P

JB said...

I'm behind on the perusal-ish meandering of your blog....and so I am late in a comment, too...I'm still think about Sneaky Pants - I guess that is backwards from here, so this is a time warp comment, or a quantum leap or something.
What I feel happens is that we say our one thing to the world everyday or every minute... We can't all be Buddha but even Buddha knows that UnBuddhas have valuable words for someone....you might say 3 different somethings in a day , in passing, to 3 different people, that changes each of those lifes (I meant to spell it that way btw) and in changing those lifes - dominos fall and Voila - The world is conquered!....I have a balloon....it never lands - at least when it should, so I get these random thoughts in a fit of brain-melting inspiration (brainsperation?)
...and it happened because of something you said...

JB said...

PS - JB is Janie :)

Jake Hull said...

brainsperation. beautiful.