Tuesday, November 1, 2011

What Halloween Makes Me Think

Two main points:

1. Fascination with otherness.

Once a year our culture, in its entirety, embraces the opportunity to be someone else. I have noticed recently that the people whose favorite holiday is halloween are people who have admitted before and bemoaned the fact that they spent a lot of time not fitting in, or belonging. What a beautiful chance to dress in the skin of the fantasied and imagined.

2. Terror and death

I think there is no better manifestation of our society's massive trembling fear of death than Halloween. Zombies, Draculas, Ghosts, Ghouls, Slutty Nurses... Children revel in getting the shit shaken out of them, Adults flock to theaters to watch the latest gore-fest/disappointing psychological fake documentary fest. Fear. We want it because we feel it because we fear death as a culture. This is probably not news to anyone but I was struck by it hard last night walking around observing the youthful scavenging of sugar bites.

(3. holy shit it's november.)

((I want to do NaNoWriMo this year but I feel that I must focus. True focus. Single-minded, neglect plenty of things, focus. Hectic Glow is on the way. And I believe in it.))

No comments: